Whoever came up with the "glass half-full, half-empty" analogy must have overlooked a key, magical elixir for any mood: an all-the-way-full taco. When we debuted this Veggie Picadillo recipe with our new Grain Free Taco Shells last weekend at Expo West, we observed a number of smiles upon consumption, among veggie lovers and taco aficionados alike. So, give this minced mushroom recipe a taste, and bring a little fulfillment to your plate.
- 32oz Baby Bella Mushrooms, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, minced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 14oz can crushed tomato
- 1/2 small yellow onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- Nom Nom Paleo Magic Mushroom Powder (optional but recommended)
- Black Pepper
- Sea Salt
- Warm up olive oil in large sauté pan or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Sauté onions, bell pepper, garlic, cumin, chili powder, oregano, and black pepper over medium heat for 5-10 minutes until onions and peppers have significantly softened.
- Add tomato paste and crushed tomatoes and sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Add minced mushrooms in small batches, maybe three batches total, cooking out the moisture before adding the next batch in.
- Cook for another 15-20 minutes after the last batch is added until you have a softened, fragrant, moist, but not soupy taco filling.
- Season with black pepper, Nom Nom Paleo and/or Sea Salt to taste.
- Garnish with toppings. We recommend romaine lettuce, tomatoes and/or the Siete hot sauce of your choosing!