On burgers, in salsas, on salads—on almost anything! Tomatillos can be baked into recipes as hidden treasures, but this recipe puts these golden nuggets front and center. Fried in avocado oil and tortilla crumbs for a delectable crunch, and satiable bite, we hope this recipe becomes your secret mealtime delight.
These fried tomatillos are perfect for sharing at the table with the people you treasure! And even though they’re not made of silver or gold, we hope that you’ll treasure them too, from deep within your chest.
Looking for Siete products at a store near you?
Servings: 4 to 6 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 4 large tomatillos
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 1 egg
- 2 cups Grain Free Cassava Flour tortilla crumbs
- Avocado oil for frying
- Sea salt for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper and place Grain Free Cassava Flour tortillas on top.
- Brush both sides of the tortillas with avocado oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Place in oven and bake until golden brown, about 10 mins.
- Remove from oven and let cool, then brake the tortillas into smaller pieces and add into a food processor. Pulse until tortillas become small crumbs (similar to the consistency of bread crumbs).
- In a small bowl add coconut flour, sea salt, black pepper, and paprika. Mix together evenly.
- In a separate small bowl, add 1 egg and ¼ cup water and wisk together.
- Prep the tomatillos by removing the husks and slicing them into ½ inch slices.
- Coat them in the flour mixture, then the egg mixture, then the tortilla crumbs.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over high heat and add in the avocado oil. Once the oil reaches 375°F, add the tomatillos and cook both sides until golden.
- Remove from skillet and let sit on a cooling rack.
- Add more sea salt to taste if desired and enjoy warm!