My girlfriend, Julie, is from Norway. Things that you probably know about Norway: it is extremely cold, it has socialized medicine, and it is the home of chess world champion Magnus Carlsen. Thing that you may not know about Norway: 11% of the country eats tacos every Friday, while a further 48% eat tacos on Friday at least once a month!
With that kind of societal coverage, the taco could credibly be considered the national food. What makes tacofredag unique versus any other taco eating experience is the communal aspect: you typically enjoy tacofredag with your extended family or a group of friends. It's not uncommon to host 10 or more people. This being the case, you need a lot of silverware and Norwegian stores sell sets of bowls and plates specifically for tacofredag.
The tacos themselves are generally hard shell, while there is a variety of fillings, toppings, and salsas, so the guests can assemble tacos to their own taste.
In order to honor this tradition in the Siete kitchen, Julie and I used Siete Foods Cassava & Chia tortillas to make the hard shell tacos. A lot of customers have emailed to ask if we will sell hard shell tacos, and who knows what the future may hold, but the power is also in your hands right now! It's super easy to make your own real quick in the oven. (Kudos to @rachaelsgoodeats, who has been championing this method for a while!) We find that, out of the three tortillas varieties, the Cassava & Chia take on heat and crisp up best for tostadas and hard shell tacos. After getting that crunchy shell right, we filled them with picadillo and topped them off with a variety of chopped and thinly sliced vegetables.
To Make The Hard Shell Tacos Yourself:
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF (and make sure your tortillas are defrosted, if coming from the freezer).
- Place tortillas on the oven rack, with each tortillas taking up two rows. Don't burn yourself! We had a stunt driver use his hands on a closed road. Tongs will work excellently.
- Close the oven door and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until the tortillas are stiff and crisp.
- Remove the tortillas from the oven and let sit for atleast 5 minutes, or until cool to the hand.
- Fill with tacofredag toppings and dig in.