When life hands you Almond Flour Tortillas, make baklava!--which is exactly what Jamie (our very own Siete Telenovela star) did.
Growing up in the Rio Grande Valley, Jamie knows a thing or two about living "The Hyphen." The Hyphen is the symbolic expression of our culture, being “not fully one thing or the other, [but being] its own identity.” As a Mexican-Lebanese American, Jamie experienced the in-between by gathering with her familia to make this scrumptious fusion-food dessert.
Check out Jamie's inclusive take on a traditional Lebanese family recipe below using our Grain Free Almond Flour Tortillas!
1. Preheat oven to 325.
2. Butter round glass pie pan.
3. Mix nuts, sugar and spices together.
4. Lay first tortilla in the center of pan, brush with melted butter and layer with nut mixture.
5. Butter remaining tortillas (both sides) and place on top of each other, layering each with nut mixture until you have used up all your filling and tortillas.
6. Use a sharp knife to pre-cut into triangles
7. Bake for 35 minutes.
While baking, prepare syrup:
1. Warm sugar, water and honey/agave over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
2. Add lemon rind, juice, cinnamon bark and whole cloves.
3. Bring to boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Strain and cool down to thicken.
5. Remove baklava from oven and spoon syrup on top.
6. Let sit for at least an hour, then serve and enjoy!