Maybe it’s because tacos are near and dear to our heart (not to mention how they always on our tip of the tongu—erm,...mind), but our Siete familia is delighted when tacos are used as a vehicle to bring foods from different countries together, on the plate, or in a dish. Like these Korean BBQ Tacos!
You see, as a hyphenated, Mexican-American family (one that celebrates both Mexican and American culture and food) we’ve got a love that’s deep, wide, and hungry for the many flavors of fusion food. We believe that there is room for everybody at the table, and the more cultures we can celebrate, the better! This taco recipe is the sum of some of the savory, salty, and smokey tastes of Korean Bulgogi “Fire Meat,” Texas Barbecue, and Mexican Tacos.
This recipe was inspired, in part by our love for tacos, but also by a trip Imani, our Events Coordinator, took to South Korea. She’s quick to admit a general love for all Korean food, but, upon visiting Seoul, she noticed there was an equally rich culture around food. “It’s an event. You eat and drink for hours! A lot of food is made at the table, so people sit on stools around the sizzling meat... Everyone has a role in the meal—gathering sides, filling drinks. There’s this sort of ecosystem in the meal that brings people together.”
We hope this dish inspires you to gather up and gather round with the ones you love, for a dish that celebrates the best of both worlds.
Looking for Siete products at a store near you?
Peep the recipe below for a Seoul-ful twist on this Tex-Mex plate. Find Siete tortillas at a store near you by clicking below.
Korean BBQ Tacos Recipe
Prep: 4 hours 10 minutes
Total Time: 4 hours 20 minutes
- 4 Tbsp sesame oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ cup coconut aminos
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup scallions, sliced
- ½ tp red pepper flakes
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1 ½ lb flank steak
- 4-6 Siete Cassava & Chia Tortillas
- 1 purple cabbage
- ½ bunch cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 avocados, cubed
- 2 scallions, sliced
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Sriracha hot sauce
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp ground coriander
- Prep beef by slicing against the grain and place in a large bowl.
- Stir all marinade ingredients together and pour into bowl with the sliced beef. Mix together. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet. Add meat and sauté for 6-8 mins, stirring occasionally. Meat is done when sauce has caramelized.
- Warm tortillas on a hot skillet.
- In a small bowl add all Sriracha mayo ingredients. Stir together until fully combined. Add to a squeeze bottle for easier drizzling.
- Assemble tacos with the remaining taco ingredients. Serve with fresh lime!